In 2006, the Mobile Dental Care Program was established as a project of the Oklahoma Dental Foundation (ODF). Its purpose was to provide dental care and education across Oklahoma to those unable to access care, primarily children with limited access, and to recommend a dental home in their area.
The program saw its 10,000th patient in 2012 and expanded to include a second mobile dental unit.
In 2013, it became a partnership program of the ODF and its major funder, the Delta Dental of Oklahoma Oral Health Foundation and the name of program was changed to MobileSmiles Oklahoma. The two foundations now co-manage the program, expanding its reach by combining the strengths and experience of their organizations.
- "Champion of the Uninsured" awarded in 2007 at the Champions of Health Gala by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma
- "Organizational Guardian Angel" 2008, Latino Community Development Agency in Oklahoma City
- "Partnership Award" 2009, Schools for Healthy Lifestyles
Timeline of MobileSmiles Oklahoma
2005: The first mobile dental care program in Oklahoma was created and equipment obtained. A retro-fitted RV, which is still in operation today, and a fifth-wheel housing one dental chair which was later sold.
2006: Mobile unit visited it's first location in Oklahoma City
- Second mobile dental unit built and delivered to Oklahoma
- 10,000th patient served
- Oklahoma Dental Foundation begins partnership with Delta Dental of Oklahoma Oral Health Foundation and renames program "MobileSmiles Oklahoma"
- Mobile Unit #2 launches and begins service in February
- CNG conversion performed on Mobile Unit #1 - now able to run CNG and regular unleaded gas
- Initiation of externship partnership for 4th year dental students with The University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry in June
- Hired first full-time dentist in July