Host

In order to serve patients in need, the MobileSmiles Oklahoma program depends on local site partners to host the mobile unit in their communities.

If your nonprofit organization, agency, church or public school would like to serve as site partner and host MobileSmiles in your community, please review the following information:

Service Options - Learn more about booking the mobile unit

Before Booking - Site partner responsibilities


Frequently Asked Questions

Questions

Answers

What dental services can you provide?

X-rays, oral hygiene instructions, fillings, extractions (removing teeth), cleanings, fluoride varnish and sealants. Each patient is evaluated by a licensed dental professional who will treat the patient's most pressing dental need. At this time, we are not able to do braces, crowns, bridges/partials, dentures, oral surgery or root canals. MobileSmiles cannot dispense medications.

What is MobileSmiles Oklahoma?

MobileSmiles Oklahoma is a partnership program of two 501(c)(3) organizations: the Oklahoma Dental Foundation and the Delta Dental of Oklahoma Oral Health Foundation. The program eliminates financial, geographical and situational barriers to dental care access.

How does the MobileSmiles program work?

With the vital help of volunteer dental professionals, the program utilizes two state-of-the-art mobile dental vans that travel throughout Oklahoma to deliver dental care and education.

Does the MobileSmiles program work directly with people in need?

No. When the program visits a community or “site,” it works with a local “site partner,” which is a nonprofit organization, school, church or agency that is responsible for qualifying and scheduling patients.

As a patient, can I set an appointment with the MobileSmiles program?

No. Patients must be scheduled by a local site partner. You can try to contact that organization directly and see if they can add you to their list.

How is the MobileSmiles program funded?

Approximately 75 percent of the program’s total funding consists of private donations from corporations, foundations, and individuals, including major funding from Delta Dental of Oklahoma Oral Health Foundation. The remaining 25 percent of the program’s income comes from SoonerCare reimbursement and community investment fees ($1,00 per mobile unit per day - this investment by the community is vital to the financial sustainability of the program). 

Does the MobileSmile dental van serve as a dental home?

Everyone needs a dental home where they receive professional cleanings and exams every six months and other dental care as needed. The goal of the MobileSmiles program is to provide care to patients currently without a dental home and – when possible – to connect the patient to a local dentist to serve as his/her dental home.

What are the criteria for site partners?

 A site partner must be a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, government agency, church or public school. Site partners are asked to pay a $1,000 community investment fee per day of service. This is a small part of the actual cost of bringing the mobile unit to the community (which is approximately $2,800 to $3,000), but it’s vital to the sustainability of the program. When necessary, we encourage site partners to apply for grants or to ask local businesses or churches to serve as “site sponsors” by covering all or part of the site fee. Typically, more than $3,200 in dental care is delivered in a single site visit, so site partners provide their community with a valuable service.

Can businesses serve as site partners?

While a for-profit business cannot serve as a site partner, they are welcome and encouraged to serve as a site sponsor. A site sponsor provides all or part of the $1,000 community investment fee.